Thursday, December 8, 2011

Photography 101: How to Make a Light Box I

Etsy seller Leanna of Seams Victorian was kind enough to provide me with instructions on how to construct a light box. Since I happen to like her product photographs, I thought it would be worth trying this out on my own product shots.

foam boards found at Michael's craft store
There are some items you will need before you begin so I'll go through the supply list today and give you the opportunity to gather your materials before I bore you to tears trying to spit this all out in one article.

um . . . I suppose the English side would have been nice
What you will need:

  • Foam core boards in a size that meets your subject height requirements
  • Transparent duct tape - my local Home Depot had never even heard of this. I actually found a roll at the Container Store - who knew!
  • Clip on lamp with reflector cup around the bulb. I have no idea what the reflector cup is but I imagine the lamp I found will work just fine
  • CFL daylight bulbs of the highest wattage you can find
  • Optional: mirror panels for reflecting light

daylight bulbs 27 watts but looks like 100
Home Depot had a display so that you could compare how your normal incandescent bulbs stack up against a daylight bulb. WOW! I had no idea just how much of a difference there is in the yellow cast factor of the former! (say that 3 times fast)
clip on lamp found at Home Depot
I'm not sure how well the lamp will work but that's the whole point of experimentation right? The next article will post Saturday where I will unveil the construction of my light box and expand on how I put it together. Happy shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Elaine Allen (veallen6@optonline.net)December 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM

    Hi Kellie -

    Can't wait to find out how hit works. I think this link may show you what a reflector cup is: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100664506&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&MERCH=REC-_-product-1-_-100664505-_-100664506-_-N&locStoreNum=2583

    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great instructions Kellie!! Thanks! I have a fabric light box that I use.
    It does make a world of difference
    In my studio I use only daylight bulbs. Love the light it casts and the colors of my paints and fabrics are true
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete

Greetings!

Each and every comment adds a bit of cheer to my day. Thank you so much for popping over. I hope to see you again soon.

~Kellie